- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated fresh horseradish (from about 8 ounces horseradish root)
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white or black pepper (optional)
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 12 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and serve warm. (The sauce can be refrigerated and served cold on a sandwich.) The sauce will keep, refrigerated in an airtight, nonreactive container, for up to 2 weeks.