- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large firm sweet-tart apple, such as Honeycrisp, peeled, cored and small-diced
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup port wine
- 3 cups dark chicken stock
Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the apples and saute until lightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until vegetables are soft, about 1 minute.
Stir in sugar and port, bring to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in stock and cook over high heat until reduced to sauce consistency (thick enough to coat the back of a spoon), about 20 minutes or so. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days before using.