- One 7-ounce package of dried mixed fruits, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup golden honey
- Blue cheese, goat cheese, or cheddar, for serving
- French bread crostini, for serving
Combine the fruit, wine, water, sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper in a medium heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Continue to cook at a vigorous simmer until the fruit softens and the syrup is thick and glossy, 30 to 40 minutes. Stir in the honey and set aside to cool to room temperature before serving.
Compote may be made up to a month in advance and refrigerated until ready to serve. Return to room temperature before serving.
When you are ready to serve, spread the cheese on the crostini and top with a small dollop of the fruit and syrup. Garnish with a few thyme leaves if desired.
Beet and Goat Cheese Ravioli with Poppyseed Brown Butter
Spinach and Feta Tarts
Beet and Feta Salad with Honey-Herb Vinaigrette and Pistachios
Honey Lemon Glazed Parsnips
Individual Pear Strudels With Blue Cheese and a Pear Compote
Charlotte's Pepper Jelly
Wild Mushroom Ragout Crostini
Pear, Endive, and Arugula Salad with Stilton and Pear Vinaigrette
Toasted Hazelnut and Dried Cranberry Salad with Bibb Lettuce and Gorgonzola