- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck, preferably 80% lean
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning or other Creole Seasoning
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 4 hamburger buns
- Down Home Chili
- Form the ground beef into 8 patties about 1/3 inch thick. Preheat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the oil to the griddle. Season the onion slices with 1/4 teaspoon each of the Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add the onions to the griddle and cook, stirring until lightly golden, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly season the patties on both sides with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the Worcestershire. Push the onions off to one side, then place the patties on the hot griddle and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for medium, turning once halfway through. Flip the patties again, add 1 slice of cheese to the top of each, and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Place the hamburger buns, cut sides down, on the griddle, and cook until warmed through and lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- For each burger, place one toasted bun on a serving plate. Place one patty on the bottom half of the bun, spoon chili on top of the patty, and top with a second patty and more chili. Place a portion of the onions on the chili, and finish off with the top of the bun. Serve immediately.
It drives me crazy when I see folks flip their burgers, then press down on them with a spatula -- leave them alone! All you're doing is squeezing out the juices. Even before your burger hits the grill, try to handle the ground beef as little as possible when you're forming it into patties -- if you overwork the meat, you'll end up with a tough burger.
Down Home Chili
Down Home Chili
Double Chili Cheeseburger with Griddled Onions
Home-Ground Burgers with Bacon, Cheese, and Fresh Thyme
Chili-Rubbed Shrimp Wraps
Emeril's Chuck Wagon Chili For The Slow Cooker
Grilled Fontina, Salami And Roasted Pepper Sandwiches
Kimchi-Bacon Cheeseburger with Gochujang Spicy Mayo
Slow-Roasted Salmon with Roasted Creamy Cauliflower