- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight in hot water to cover
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon seeded and chopped jalapeno peppers
- 6 cups Basic Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Southwest Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Drain and rinse the beans. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and beans and saute, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the stock, lime juice, Southwest Seasoning, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes, or as needed until the beans are tender.
Stir in the salt, pepper, and cilantro and simmer for about 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.