- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grated yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cored and quartered to the base (donít cut all the way through!)
- Toasted Croutons
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the cheeses, pimientos, mayonnaise, grated onion, hot sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Sprinkle the tomatoes with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Spoon 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture into the center of each tomato. Put on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the cheese melts, about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Place the tomatoes in the center of serving plates and serve warm with the croutons.