- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and diced
- 1 1/3 cups soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/3 ounce miso paste
- 4 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 3 pounds Korean short ribs (1/4- to 1/2-inch thick)*
- Korean Shortrib Glaze, at room temperature
- Turmeric Pickled Potato Kimchi, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Make the marinade for the short ribs by combining the apple, soy sauce, green onions, garlic, and miso in a blender and blending until smooth.
In a large nonreactive container, add the brown sugar, sesame oil and water. Pour the blended apple mixture over the sugar and whisk well to blend. Place the short ribs in a resealable plastic food storage bag and add enough of the marinade to thoroughly coat the meat. Seal the bag, squeezing to remove as much of the air as possible, and turn the bag over several times so that the marinade is evenly distributed. Place the bag in a shallow bowl (to catch any drips) and refrigerate overnight.
When you are ready to grill the shortribs, remove them from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. Preheat a grill or broiler to high heat.
Remove the ribs from the marinade and discard marinade. Grill the meat on well-oiled grill grates until nicely marked on both sides but still pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes per side (depending on your grill as well as the thickness of the shortribs), brushing the ribs near the end of cooking with some of the Korean Shortrib Glaze. Take care not to overcook.
Serve the shortribs immediately, garnished with the Turmeric Pickled Potato Kimchi, a sprinkling of sesame seeds, and green onions.