- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 cups sour cream, divided
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 can refried black beans (or 2 cups homemade refried beans)
- Your favorite hot sauce, to taste
- 8 ounces canned diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup thick salsa or pico de gallo, or more as needed (strained if very liquidy)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups guacamole
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- For garnishing: diced tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, sliced green onions, black olives, cilantro leaves, and minced red onion (optional)
- For serving: your favorite tortilla chips
In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1 cup of the sour cream, and one of the taco seasoning packets and mix until thoroughly combined. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly along the bottom of a shallow 9- by 13-inch casserole dish or divide it evenly among two shallow 9- or 10-inch bowls. In another bowl, combine the refried beans with the remaining taco seasoning packet and hot sauce (to taste) and then spoon the beans evenly over the top of the cream cheese layer. Using the back of a spoon, carefully smooth to form the second layer. Top the beans with the chiles, smoothing the top, and then add the salsa. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day in advance.
When ready to serve, remove the dip from the refrigerator and top with the 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Add the lime juice to the guacamole (you can skip this step if your guacamole is homemade and already contains lime juice). Add the guacamole to the top of the dip and smooth the top using the back of a spoon.
Transfer the remaining cup of sour cream to a pastry bag fitted with a plain round tip or to a plastic food storage bag and snip off the tip of one corner. Use your imagination to pipe the sour cream onto the top of the dip in lines so that it resembles a spider web. Don't worry about it being perfect! Garnish the edge of the dip with the remaining grated cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, sliced green onions, sliced olives, cilantro leaves, and minced red onion, as desired. Serve chilled with tortilla chips.
Note: If you have a plastic spider on hand, you can add it to the top of your dip like we did. Or, you can cut the black olives into rounds and strips and fashion a spider out of olive parts.