- 1 ½ cups Crystal brand hot sauce or other Louisiana red hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- ¼ pound unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 ¼ to 2 ½ pounds chicken wings, separated at joints (tips removed)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup Wondra brand instant flour
In a medium saucepan, combine the hot sauce, vinegar, and sugar and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add the butter little-by-little while blending to form a smooth sauce. Set aside while you prepare the chicken.
Pat the chicken pieces dry and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the garlic, salt, and pepper and toss the wings thoroughly to evenly distribute the seasoning. Sprinkle with the Wondra and toss again so that all the wings are evenly coated in the flour.
Place the wings in the basket of the Emeril’s Air Fryer and set to 400° F for 22 minutes. Cook, turning the wings once midway to promote even browning, until wings are golden brown, crispy, and a thermometer registers at least 165 degrees F. Transfer the wings to a bowl and spoon about ½ cup of the sauce over the hot wings. Toss to evenly coat and serve the wings hot.
Makes 4 to 6 servings; 2 cups sauce
Cook's Note: Any remaining sauce will keep, refrigerated, for up to several months. Return to room temperature before using.