- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons Emeril’s Original Essence
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onions
- ½ cup chopped green bell peppers
- ½ cup chopped, roasted and peeled green Poblano or Anaheim chilies
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- One 12-ounce lager beer
- One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans, or canned beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese, garnish
- Tortilla chips, accompaniment
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, sausage and Essence, and cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and chilies, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt, and cook for 1 minute. Add the beer and tomatoes, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Remove from the heat and add the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning to taste and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
To serve, ladle into large bowls and sprinkle each serving with ¼ cup of cheese. Serve tortilla chips on the side.