- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 7 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pinches ground cloves
- A pinch of salt
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound crusty bread*, cubed (about 12 cups cubed bread)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Caramel Sauce, for serving, recipe follows
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with the butter and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs together with the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Whisk in the pumpkin purée, then the heavy cream.
Add the cubed bread and stir well to combine. Let the bread sit in the egg mixture for 10 minutes, then transfer to the prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until the bread pudding is set and crispy on top and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 ½ hours.
- Serve the bread pudding warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
To make the Caramel Sauce:
In a medium-size heavy saucepan combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium high heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the lemon juice and continue to cook, swirling the pan occasionally but never stirring, until the syrup forms an amber-colored caramel.
Remove from the heat and carefully add the heavy cream all at once (the mixture will splatter). Return to the cook top over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is completely smooth and has melted into the cream.
Remove from the heat, add the butter and salt, and stir until completely incorporated. Set the sauce aside to cool. Sauce may be served either warm or at room temperature.
- Makes about 3 cups
Chai-spiced Pumpkin Pudding With Lady Fingers
Cane Syrup Pecan Bread Pudding with Espresso Creme Anglaise
Pumpkin Trifle with Walnuts and Butterscotch Sauce
Pumpkin Custard Pie
Lobster Mac n Cheese
Creole Duck Breast with Abita Beer Glaze and Sour Apples
Classic New Orleans Bread Pudding with a Bourbon Sauce
White Chocolate Macadamia Bread Pudding
Brandy Spice-Glazed Ham
Soft-Shell Crabs with Spring Vegetables