- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, small diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Two 28 ounce cans plum tomatoes, crushed with your hands (juices reserved)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Heat the olive oil in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden.
Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so that the sauce just simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and flavors have come together, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.