- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds flat-iron steak (also known as top blade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Avocado, Tomato, and Red Onion Salad, for serving
In a small bowl, combine onion, bell peppers, garlic, thyme, oregano, 1 tablespoon salt, sugar, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and vinegar. Whisk in vegetable oil.
Add steak to a gallon-size resealable plastic bag or other container. Pour in marinade and refrigerate overnight.
One hour before serving, remove steak from refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature.
Preheat a grill to high.
Remove steak from marinade. Discard marinade. Season steak with remaining teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and olive oil. Grill steak for 7 to 8 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Flat-iron steak is at its best if you do not cook it past medium.) Remove steak from grill and let it rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice steak across grain and serve it with Avocado, Tomato, and Red Onion Salad.
Cook's Note: Instead of using the onion-pepper mixture as a marinade, you can use half to baste the steaks and the other half as a dressing for the salad.
Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Salad
Seared Tri-tip Steak With Bearnaise Sauce And Pommes Frites
Smoked Sausage Sandwiches with Beer-Braised Onions
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Brazilian “Vinaigrette” Salsa
Double Chili Cheeseburger with Griddled Onions
The Herbert Burger
Marinated and Grilled London Broil with Emeril's Homemade Steak Sauce
Grilled Sausages with Homemade Mustard