- 1 recipe Basic Pizza Dough
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups your favorite tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 pound mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. If you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
Divide the dough in half and roll into a 12-inch circle, about 1/2-inch thick.
Dust pizza peel or baking sheet with cornmeal. Place rolled out dough on peel. Brush pizza dough with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the edges. Sprinkle 1/4 cup basil leaves on top of sauce and then top with 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano. Finally, top with 1/2-pound mozzarella slices. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and the edges are golden brown. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 2 pizzas.