- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken stock or water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red Thai chile pepper, seeded and thinly sliced, optional
- Sriracha sauce, for garnishing, optional
Heat the oil in a small saucepan and, when hot, add the garlic, chile paste, and tomato paste, and cook until garlic is golden, about 30 seconds. Add the broth, sugar, peanut butter and hoisin sauce and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly before serving. Serve in small bowls, garnished with the peanuts, sliced chiles and optional hot sauce.
May be served warm or at room temperature.