- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- Salt and cayenne
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, finely chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Emeril's Kick It Up Red Pepper Sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound zucchini, coarsely grated
- Solid vegetable shortening for deep-fryng
- Emeril's Original Essence
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, season with salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until they turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Combine the eggs, milk, baking powder, the teaspoon salt, and season with cayenne to taste. Mix well. Add the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, whisking until all is used and the batter is smooth. Season with hot sauce and Worcestershire.
Season the zucchini with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp mixture and the zucchini to the batter and fold to mix.
Heat the shortening in a heavy, deep pot or electric fryer to 350º F. Drop the batter, a heaping tablespoon at a time, into the hot oil, and cook for about 5 minutes. When the fritters come to the surface, turn to brown them evenly. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Season with Essence and serve warm.