- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste*
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
Mix and sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Combine the egg and 2 cups of the buttermilk; add the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Add the butter or oil and, if too thick, more of the buttermilk until the desired thickness is achieved.
Cook the pancakes on a preheated greased griddle until golden brown on both sides.
* Some folks prefer a saltier pancake; if this sounds like you, feel free to use either 3/4 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon of salt for the batter. Otherwise, 1/2 teaspoon salt would be sufficient.