- 2 1/2 pounds corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, 3 bay leaves and 5 black peppercorns, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 parsnips, cut into chunks
- 2 turnips, cut into chunks
- 1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Horseradish cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- Up to 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot combine the meat, the spice bag and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Transfer beef to a shallow bowl or platter and cover to keep warm.
Add vegetables and salt to the cooking liquid (in batches if it doesn't all fit at onece), and simmer until tender, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Make horseradish cream: In a small bowl combine sour cream and horseradish; season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
To finish, slice the corned beef against the grain and transfer to a large, warmed, deep platter. Drain broth and reserve for soup, if desired. Arrange vegetables around meat and serve.
Smoked Salmon Potato Hash With Poached Eggs And Caviar
Irish Beef Stew
Irish Stout and Cheddar Rarebit with Soft Boiled Eggs
Guinness Stout Ice Cream
Potato Soup with Bacon and Cheddar
Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey's Irish Cream Cheese Frosting
Ham Hock And Cabbage Soup
Irish Soda Bread with Currants