- Two 2 1/2-pound whole chickens, cleaned and rinsed
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves chopped and stems reserved
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves chopped and stems reserved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more as needed
- Black pepper, as needed
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4 ribs celery
- 4 medium onions, quartered
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Push the cloves garlic under skin of each chicken, so that garlic is between the skin and the breast, the thighs and legs. Season the inside of the chickens generously with salt and pepper then place 1/4 cup each of the chopped onions, celery and carrots, and 2 bay leaves in the cavity of each chicken, plus any remaining garlic. Push herbs under skin of each breast and sprinkle some on top of the skin; put herb stems in each cavity. Rub skin of each chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon salt and 6 turns pepper. Truss the chickens.
Place the celery ribs and carrots in a large roasting pan to form a bed for the chickens. Set the chickens on top. Toss the onions, potatoes and parsnips with the remaining teasoon salt, pepper and olive oil and surround the chicken. Add the broth. Roast 45 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and roast until the vegetables are cooked thorugh and the meat is falling off the bones, about 50 to 60 minutes more. Remove from oven and leave to rest, 10 minutes.
Carve the chicken and serve with the vegetables and jus garnished with chopped parsley.