- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound neufchatel cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Season the shrimp with the Creole seasoning.
Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and continue to cook until the shrimp are cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes longer.
In the bowl of a food processor combine the neufchatel cheese, buttermilk, green onions, lemon juice, hot sauce, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne and lemon zest. Quickly pulse the ingredients for 30 seconds.
Allow the shrimp to cool slightly and then add them to the bowl of the food processor. Process for 30 seconds or until just combined. The dip should be fairly chunky.
Serve with chips and party crackers.
- Source: Cooking Section, September 2000
- Dish Type: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Cajun/Creole
- Cooking Method: Combination
- Occasion: Any
- Effort Level: Simple