- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 very large sweet onion, such as a Wadmalaw or Vidalia, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chili peppers, such as jalapeno
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 cups sweet corn kernels (from about 12 ears)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
Put everything but the mustard, turmeric, and corn in a nonreactive pot and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are somewhat softened and the sugar is dissolved.
Put the mustard and turmeric in a small bowl or teacup and mix together with some of the hot liquid from the pot, then add the mixture to the pot along with the corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Pack the mixture into 8 (1/2 pint) sterilized jars, seal, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Serve this condiment with poultry, fried fish, beans or rice.