- 1 pound dried white beans, such as white kidney (cannellini) or great Northern, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock or
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano
- Put the beans into a large pot or bowl. Add water to cover by 2 inches and soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Then drain. (For a quick soak, bring the beans and water to a boil over high heat and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to stand for 1 hour. Drain.)
- Fry the bacon in a heavy medium stockpot over medium-high heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to lift onto paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pot. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots soften, about 1 minute.
- Add the beans to the pot with the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the chicken and the reserved bacon and heat through. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Chicken, Vegetable, And Rice Soup
Venison Medallions With Bacon And White Bean Ragout And Creole Mustard Sauce
Portuguese Chicken, Lemon And Mint Soup
Portuguese Kale And Clam Soup
Lobster Portuguese Style
Apple Smoked Bacon, White Cheddar And Potato Omelet
Seared Scallops On Truffle White Bean Puree With Wild Mushroom Sauce
Creole Chicken, Red Beans And Rice Soup
Fettuccine With Bacon And Peas
Cherry And White Chocolate Bread Pudding