- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley plus 1/2 teaspoon for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives plus 1/2 teaspoon for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the black-eyed peas, tahini, lemon juice, parsley, chives and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture is roughly chopped. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a thin stream through the feed tube and continue to blend until smooth. Add the warm water and continue to blend until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the hummus from the food processor to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining olive oil, parsley and chives. Serve immediately.
The hummus can be made up to 2 days in advance.