You gotta love chili! This is a lighter version, using lean ground turkey rather than beef or pork. Use a mixture of both white and dark meat to add more depth of flavor to the dish. Serve with lime wedges, cilantro leaves and plain yogurt for a healthier alternative to chips and sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- One 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons seeded and minced jalapenos
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups each cooked and drained black beans and white beans 
- 4 cups Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth 
Heat the oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until the turkey loses its pink color, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook until they soften, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, and garlic and cook to blend the flavors, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the white beans, black beans, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Source: Prime Time Emeril Cookbook 
- Dish Type: Entree 
- Cuisine: American 
- Cooking Method: Simmering 
- Occasion: Sporting Event 
- Effort Level: Simple