- 24 freshly shucked Gulf oysters (about 1 pint if you buy pre-shucked)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated, for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Emeril's Coastal Pasta Bordelaise, for serving
Heat a deep fryer or a large, high sided Dutch oven or other heavy pan filled one-third of the way with oil to 350°F.
Set up a breading station by placing the flour in one bowl, the eggs and milk in a second bowl (whisking to combine), and the breadcrumbs, kosher salt and black pepper in a third bowl (whisking to combine). Gently dredge the oysters in the flour, shaking to remove any excess. Dip the flour-coated oysters into the egg wash, then remove them (letting any excess egg wash drip off), and gently dredge the oysters in the seasoned breadcrumbs to coat.
Working in small batches, quickly fry the oysters until crispy, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the oysters using a strainer or slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Repeat with any remaining oysters.
Serve the oysters hot, over Emeril's Coastal Pasta Bordelaise. Garnish each bowl with Parmesan and parsley.
- Dish Type: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Cooking Method: Deep Frying
- Occasion: Any
- Effort Level: Moderate