- 6 bratwurst sausages
- 6 sausage rolls or hot dog buns
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced crosswise into 1/3-inch slices
- 2 large Honeycrisp or other favorite apples, cored and sliced crosswise into 1/3-inch slices
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil, plus more for brushing onion and apples
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole or other whole grain/coarse grain mustard, plus more for serving
- 4 teaspoons honey, or to taste
Preheat a grill to high heat.
Brush the onion and apple slices with vegetable oil on both sides and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill until nicely marked on both sides and slightly softened, 8 to 10 minutes depending on your grill. The apple slices should still be firm enough to be chopped. Remove from the grill and set aside until cool enough to handle. Once cooled, roughly chop the apples and onions and combine in a bowl with the vinegar, mustard, honey, and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside while you prepare the bratwursts.
Reduce the grill to medium-high heat and leave one zone of the grill available for indirect cooking. Place the bratwursts on the grill over indirect heat and cook for 15-18 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bratwurst reaches 150-155 degrees F. (Note: the timing will depend on the thickness of bratwurst as well as whether yours are fresh or cured and fully cooked.) Turn occasionally to evenly cook the bratwurst.
Transfer the brats to the direct heat side of the heat and grill for 1-2 minutes to cook the exterior casing. Warm the buns on the grill briefly if desired.
Place the bratwurst in the buns and spoon some of the apple-onion relish on top. Serve with whole grain mustard.