- 2 pounds ground bison
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ pound creamy blue cheese, crumbled (such as Roquefort, Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue, or your favorite)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slider or small hamburger buns, warmed
- Port and Bacon Drunken Onions, for serving
In a large bowl, crumble the bison meat and sprinkle with the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Gently mix to combine, then divide the meat into six rough patties. Make a shallow well in the center of each patty and fill it with some of the blue cheese. Bring the edges of the meat up and over to cover the cheese, and gently flatten to form a cheese-stuffed patty. Drizzle the burgers on both sides with olive oil.
Preheat a grill to medium and grill the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Note: Bison is very lean and should not be overcooked, or it will be dry. We suggest cooking to rare/medium rare, or no more than 130-140 degrees F.)
Serve on warmed buns with the Port and Bacon Drunken Onions.