- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek, white part only
- 1 cup pitted Cerignola olives, thinly sliced
- 2 Fresno pepers, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, qartered, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, cut on a bias
- 2 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped anchovies
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemons, peeled and juiced
- two 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups white wine
- 3 cups fish or shrimp stock
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
Combine all of the ingredients in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Transfer to clean storage containers and use as needed.
This sauce is a great base for seafood and shellfish.