- One 32-ounce block of Velveeta Blanco, cut into pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk, as needed
- One 10-ounce can Rotel tomatoes with Green Chiles, juices and all
- 2 serrano chiles, stem removed, seeded, and coarsely chopped *see Note
- 1 jalapeno chile, stem removed, seeded, and coarsely chopped *see Note
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, to taste
Place the Velveeta, 1/4 cup of the milk, and the Rotel tomatoes in a nonstick saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. If necessary, add some of the remaining milk to achieve the desired thickness.
While the cheese is melting, place the serrano chiles, jalapeno, cilantro and red onion in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
Stir the chile-cilantro mixture into the melted queso, season to taste with the crushed red pepper, and serve hot with your favorite chips or as a sauce for nachos or enchiladas.
Note: For a spicy queso, don't remove the seeds when chopping the chiles