- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- butter, softened, for serving (optional)
- fruit preserves, for serving (optional)
- honey, for serving (optional)
Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt into a medium-size bowl. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work the cubed butter into the flour until the pieces are pea sized. Add the buttermilk and use your hands or a rubber spatula to stir until the milk and flour come together to form a dough. Be careful not to overmix.
Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto the work surface. Use your hands to press the dough into a 1/2-inch disc about 8-inches in diameter. Use a lightly floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter to cout out 6 dough rounds. Be sure to press straight down when cutting the dough because a twisting motion will prevent the dough from rising.
Arrange the biscuits on the crisper tray or baking tray and brush them with the melted butter. Slide the tray into Shelf position 2. Select the air fry setting at 400 degrees F and set the cooking time to 12 minutes. Press the start button and cook until the biscuits are golden brown and flaky, 10 to 12 minutes.
Serve the biscuits with the butter, preserves, or honey.