- ½ red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips lengthwise
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips lengthwise
- ½ medium onion, cut into ½-inch strips lengthwise
- 10 ounces mild Italian sausage, removed from casings and broken into bite-size pieces
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- ¼ teaspoon plus a pinch cayenne
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as oregano, basil, and/or marjoram
- 5 cups 1-inch cubed Italian seeded bread
- 4 ounces grated Fontina cheese
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
Spray the barrel pan of the Emeril 5.3-quart digital Air Fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Place the bell pepper and onion strips in the pan and top with the Italian sausage. Cook at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until sausage is browned. Stir the mixture well, and continue to cook at 400 for 5 minutes longer, until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned.
While the sausage and veggies are cooking, whisk the eggs, half and half, cayenne, salt, and herbs together in a medium bowl. Add the bread cubes and stir to combine. Allow bread to sit and absorb the liquid, at least 10 minutes.
When the vegetable-sausage mixture is done, remove half of it from the pan. Spoon half of the bread mixture over the vegetable-sausage mixture remaining in the pan, and top with half of the Fontina and half of the Parmesan. Spoon the reserved vegetable-sausage mixture over the cheese, top with the remaining bread mixture and the remaining cheeses. Cover the pan tightly with a piece of buttered aluminum foil (buttered side down) and place in the air fryer. Cook at 370 for 45 minutes, then uncover and continue to cook until the top of the casserole is puffed and deeply golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean, about 5 minutes longer. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.