- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemongrass, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Thai chilies, thinly sliced (serano peppers may be substituted)
- 2 limes leaves, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 11 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces
- lime wedges, for serving
- Steamed sticky rice or forbidden rice, for serving
In a large Dutch-oven over medium heat, heat the coconut oil and when hot add the onion and bell pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add the lemongrass, ginger, garlic, lime and bay leaves and continue to cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, palm sugar and fish sauce and bring to a brisk simmer. Add the clams, snow peas, cover with a tight lid and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until all of the clams have opened. Discard any clams that do not open.
Add the cilantro and basil and stir the clams and the broth.
Serve the clams in bowls with the rice and garnish with a lime wedge.