- 3 to 31/2 pound boneless, pork shoulder roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 cups fresh apple cider, preferably unfiltered
- 1 cup hard apple cider such as Crispin or Lambic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Celery Root Mashed Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 300º F.
Season the roast with the salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. In a large Dutch-oven, over medium heat, add the oil and when hot sear the roast on all sides, about 10 minutes. The roast should be nicely browned.
Transfer the roast to a platter and the onions to the pan and cook, stirring, until they just begin to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add the fresh and hard cider and the thyme and bring to a brisk simmer. Transfer the pork back to the pan, along with any juices. Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven.
Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the pork is very tender. Transfer the roast to a platter.
Reduce the braising liquid over medium heat, constantly stirring, until there is just 2 cups of liquid.
Cut the pork into large cubes and serve over the Celery Root Mashed Potatoes.
Apple, Watercress and Salumi Salad
Stir Fried Udon Noodles with Pork and Wild Mushrooms
Black-eyed Pea Hummus
Savoy Cabbage with Pears and Chestnuts
Braised Duck Ravioli with Apple Cider Butter
New Year's Cake
Fricassee of Pork and Turnips
Roasted Chicken Breasts With Roasted Acorn Squash, Braised Pears, And A Pear Cider Reduction
Pork Medallions With Bacon, Onions And Apples