- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons minced Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- One baguette cut into 30 ½-inch thick slices
- ½ cup sliced basil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Combine the tomatoes, olives, shallot and mozzarella in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper then stir in the vinegar and ½ cup of the olive oil and set aside. Combine the crushed garlic with the remaining ¼ cup olive oil and set aside.
- Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush generously with the garlic and oil. If any garlic or oil remains, add it to the tomato mixture. Fold in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the toast slices on a large platter with the tomato mixture alongside for guests to spoon over the toasts.
- Source: Eat the World
- Dish Type: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian
- Occasion: Any
- Effort Level: Simple