- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted, slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruits, such as apricots, cranberries or currants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease the pan
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk ( or combination milk and chicken stock)
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded roast turkey breast
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
In a small bowl, combine the white rice, wild rice, almonds and dried fruits and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan melt 6 tablespoons of the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes- do not allow the flour to brown. Add the milk in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly, until completely incorporated. Cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Whisk in the egg yolks and season with the salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch casserole lightly with butter. Spread 1/2 of the rice mixture over the bottom of the casserole, top with half of the turkey, then spoon half of the sauce over the top. Top with the remaining rice mixture, then with the remaining turkey, and spoon the remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the cheeses and bake, uncovered, until golden brown, bubbly and heated through, 40 to 45 minutes.