- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or other coarse, dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups whole milk
- One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound coarsely grated fontina cheese
- ½ pound coarsely grated provolone cheese
- ½ pound coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound dried ditalani pasta, cooked in salted water according to package directions, drained and set aside
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and lightly brush the bottom and sides of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with some of the butter. Combine the remaining melted butter with the panko crumbs in a small bowl and set aside.
Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter to a 2-quart or larger pot and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes until combined and bubbly, do not allow to brown. Slowly whisk in the whole milk and evaporated milk and continue to cook until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil, about 10 minutes, stirring as needed, and being careful not to let it overflow. Remove the béchamel from the heat and stir in the salt and pepper.
Combine the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Remove 1 cup of the cheese mixture and set aside. Add the ditalani, herbs and the béchamel sauce to the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, top with the reserved cup of cheese, spreading evenly to cover, then top with the breadcrumbs. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the foil and cook 10 minutes longer until the sauce is bubbly and the crumbs are golden. Remove the macaroni and cheese from the oven and set aside to cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives.
Uptown Get Down Macaroni And Cheese
Grilled Filet of Beef with Blue Cheese Glacage, Bacon and Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes and a Drizzle of Emeril's Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Spinach and Rice Casserole with Feta and Toasted Walnuts
Kicked-Up Sausage Macaroni and Cheese
Delmonico Fried Oyster Bordelaise
Emeril's Delmonico Crispy Pork Cheeks with Creole Dirty Rice
Delmonico's Steak Oscar
Delmonico's Beef Brisket Daube
Roast Beef Sandwich with French Onion Dip and Crispy Shallots