- 1¼ pounds mixed mild green chiles, such as poblano, Hatch, and/or Anaheim
- 2 jalapeño or serrano chiles
- 2 cups old-fashioned grits, such as Quaker (not instant or quick grits)
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, plus more for sprinkling if desired
- 4 ounces pepper Jack cheese, coarsely grated, plus more for garnish
- 2 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese, coarsely grated, plus more for garnish
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled, for garnish
Roast all the chiles over an open flame on your cooktop, placing them directly on top of the cooking grates, and allow them to blister and blacken on all sides, turning them with tongs as necessary, 6 to 7 minutes (see Note).
Transfer the chiles to a paper bag, crimp the edges closed, and allow them to steam until their skins are loosened and the chiles have cooled slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the chiles and wipe off the charred skins.
Discard the stems and seeds. Chop the chiles and add them to a 6-quart slow cooker along with the grits, water, milk, butter, salt, garlic, and chili powder.
Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours, whisking occasionally, until the grits are very tender and creamy.
Add the 4 ounces pepper Jack and 2 ounces cheddar, and stir until melted. Serve the grits garnished with additional pepper Jack and cheddar, the Cotija, and a sprinkling of chili powder if desired.
Note : Alternatively, if you do not own a gas cooktop, you can blacken the peppers on a grill or rub them with a bit of oil and blister the skins under the broiler.
Warm Spinach Salad With A Fire-roasted Corn And Crispy Pancetta Dressing And Crumbled Goat's Cheese
Slow-Cooked Potatoes with Mushrooms and Ham
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic for the Slow Cooker
Jerky And Baby Greens With Fire Roasted Corn Dressing In A Tortilla Basket
Southwest Shrimp With Fire Roasted Corn And Onion Dressing
Chicken And Green Chile Tamales With Roasted Tomato Salsa
Roasted Quail Stuffed With Veal Over Creamy Goat's Cheese Grits With A Maderia Reduction
Mesclun Greens With Creamy Garlic Dressing And Roasted Garlic Crouton With Parmigiano-reggiano Cheese
Chorizo, Cheese, And Green Chile Enchiladas