- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- One 7-ounce container marshmallow creme
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. To make the mini-cakes: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Using cooking spray, grease two 11 3/4- x 17 1/2-inch jelly roll pans. Set the pans aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar. Add the egg and mix until it is fully incorporated. Add the red food coloring and the vanilla, and beat until well blended.
4. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again. In thirds, alternately add the buttermilk and the flour mixture, beginning with the buttermilk and ending with the flour. Mix until the ingredients are just combined.
5. Place half of the batter in a piping bag fitted with a plain tip, and pipe twelve 2 1/2-inch-diameter cookies onto the prepared jelly roll pans, spacing them 2 inches apart. Moisten your fingertip with water and smooth the top of each cookie.
6. Bake the cookies, one pan at a time, for 6 minutes, or until they have puffed up. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 1 minute, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the filling: Combine the confectioners’ sugar, marshmallow creme, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix until well-blended. (You can make this filling up to 24 hours in advance.) Cover and refrigerate.
8. To assemble the cookies; Spread 1 tablespoon of the filling over half of the cookies, and top with the remaining cookies.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Espresso Spice Crinkle Cookies
Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
Banana Cream Pie with Caramel Drizzles and Chocolate Sauce
Jeremy's Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Mini Pecan Pies
Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches with Ginger Molasses Cookies
Coconutty Chocolate-Pecan Pie Bars
Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies