- 1 large red onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 3 large firm, ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely leaves
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons truffle oil, or extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced anchovies
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound halloumi cheese, sliced between 1/8- and 1/4-inch thick
Preheat the grill to medium. Secure the onion slices with toothpicks to keep individual slices from falling through the grill grates when cooking.
Brush the tomatoes and onions with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Grill the tomatoes and onions on both sides until nicely marked and the onions are crisp tender, about 4 to 5 mintues per side. Remove from the grill and set aside until cool enough handle. Once cooled, remove the toothpicks from the onions and roughly chop them along with the tomatoes and add to a medium bowl. Add the parsley, chives, balsamic, truffle oil, garlic, anchovy, crushed red pepper, 1 tabelspoon coarse salt, and the crushed red pepper. Stir to combine.
Lightly pat the halloumi slices with a paper towel to dry, then brush both sides with olive oil. Grill the halloumi until nicely marked and warmed thorugh, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve with the tomato relish and more truffle oil, if deisred.