- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup Emeril's Kick It Up Red Pepper Sauce or other Louisiana red hot sauce, such as Crystal
- 1 cup flour, or more as needed
- Emeril's Original Essence, to taste
In a large, heavy, deep pot or electric fryer, heat 4 inches of vegetable oil to 360°F.
In a small mixing bowl, toss the onions with the hot sauce. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season with Essence.
Dredge the onion rings in the flour, shaking to remove excess flour. Fry them in batches in the hot oil, turning as necessary, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels briefly, then season with Essence. Set aside and keep warm until ready to serve.