- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion tops
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
- 3 cups cooked long or medium-grain white rice
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth, as needed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large saute pan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and pork, and cook until browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up lumps, about 6 minutes. Add onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, green onion, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Add rice and 1/2 cup chicken stock, Worcestershire, and 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano, and stir well. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning to taste. If you prefer your rice dressing to be very moist, add more chicken broth to taste, up to 1/4 cup.
Transfer to a casserole dish and sprinkle 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano over the top. Place in oven and bake until top is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Remove from oven. Garnish with additional Parmigiano and serve.