- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (5 to 6 ounces), cut into small dice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence or Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning
- Two 15.5-ounce cans black beans, drained and quickly rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. When it is hot, add the onion and cook until soft and lightly caramelized, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Place the flour in a shallow bowl or plate, and stir in the Essence. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, mash the black beans well with the back of a fork -- the mixture should be relatively smooth, with no whole beans remaining. Stir in the cooled onion mixture, cilantro, egg, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and hot sauce and mix well. Divide the mixture into 8 evenly sized patties (about 1/3 cup each).
Heat the remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, dust the patties in the seasoned flour mixture and carefully transfer them to the hot skillet (the cakes will be delicate). Cook the cakes until golden brown on both sides and heated through, about 2 minutes per side.
If necessary, season with more salt. Garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve immediately.
Grilled Flank Steak Tostadas With Black Bean Puree, Roasted Pepper Salsa And Cilantro-Tequila Cream
Skillet Corn Cake With Stewed Cherries
Bean and Cheese Quesadilla
Fire Roasted Corn And Tomato Salsa
Spicy Sausage, Bean And Cheese Nachos
Bacon Braised Green Beans
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Mini Black Bean Cakes for the Air Fryer 360
Shrimp and Chorizo Tapas