Watercress, Endive And Strawberry Salad With Gravlax And A Blood Orange Vinaigrette
Make this light and lovely salad for your Mother's Day Brunch and spoil all the moms in your life. You can also take the day off and treat mom to brunch at one of our restaurants, where our chefs are ready to cater to mom's every whim!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated blood orange zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces cured salmon gravlax
- 8 ounces watercress
- 2 heads Belgian endive, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
Set an 8-inch saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots and cook, stirring often for 1 minute. Add the garlic and orange zest to the pan and continue to cook for 30 seconds. Pour the orange juice into the pan and raise the heat to high. Bring to a boil and allow the juice to reduce by 3/4, about 8 minutes. (The mixture should be thick and syrupy.)
Pour the warm orange mixture into a medium bowl, and add the mustard, honey and vinegar. Season with the salt and pepper and whisk to blend. Stir vigorously and slowly drizzle the oil into the bowl as you whisk. Set the vinaigrette aside as you prepare the salad.
Arrange 2 ounces of salmon on each of 4 salad plates. In a large bowl, combine the watercress and endive. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle 5 to 6 tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the salad. Use your hands or a pair of tongs to toss the salad, making sure that everything is well blended. Place the salad mixture on top of the gravlax and arrange the strawberries around the plate. Serve immediately.