- Basic Pizza Dough,
- or storebought refrigerated pizza dough from a can or tube
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound mild Italian sausage, remove from the casings
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg plus 2 teaspoons water, beaten together
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cornmeal onto a large baking sheet pan.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned and no pink is left, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the basil and parsley, stirring to combine. Cool the sausage mixture completely.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of cornmeal onto a lightly floured surface and place the pizza dough on top of the cornmeal. Roll the dough into a 10 by 14-inch rectangle. Spread the cooled sausage mixture over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the sausage. Brush the 1-inch border of the dough with the egg wash. Starting at a long end, roll the dough, jelly roll-style, into a log shape, pinching the edges closed as you roll. Place the bread, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet and brush the top of the bread with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake the sausage bread for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Allow bread to stand 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. To serve, slice the bread into 1-inch pieces and serve warm.