- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pimientos (one 4 ounce jar, drained)
- 2 teaspoons grated yellow onion (with juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pinch cayenne
- 4 individual sandwich-sized baguettes, or 4 (6-inch) lengths of French bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked ham, such as Black Forest
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
Combine the cheese, mayonnaise, pimento, grated onion, black pepper, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl and stir until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Spread the cheese mixture on the cut sides of both the top and bottom bread halves of each sandwich. Divide the ham and onions evenly between the 4 sandwiches, sandwiching between cheese-slathered bread.
Preheat a griddle or grill pan over medium heat and lightly butter the top and bottom of the sandwiches.
Place the sandwiches on the griddle (in batches if necessary) and apply weight from the top using a skillet or other heavy object such as a sandwich press. Cook until the sandwiches are crispy and golden on the bottom and cheese inside is beginning to melt. Turn the sandwich over and cook until the second side is golden and crisp and the inside is warm and gooey. Serve hot.