- 24 ounces chorizo or other hot sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 12 corn tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Spicy Sour Cream Dip
In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, peppers,garlic, Essence, and chili powder, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a bowl, combine the cheeses.
Place 4 tortillas on a work surface. Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture.
Top each with some cheese and a few jalapeno slices and top with another tortilla.
Add another layer of sausage, cheese, and jalapeno finishing with 1 more tortilla. Each stack should be 3 tortillas and 2 layers of filling.
Press firmly down on the top of each stack.
Lightly oil the grill or griddle and cook the stacks for about 3 minutes per side, or until the tortillas are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut each into 4 pieces.
Place on a serving platter and garnish with the cilantro. Serve hot with Spicy Sour Cream Dip, if desired.