- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 6 cups mixed greens, well washed and spun dry
- 12 endive spears
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted pistachios
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the blackberries and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the vinegars and cook until reduced by half, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender. Add the sugar, mint and tarragon, and process to a smooth paste. Add the salt and pepper. With the machine running, add the light olive oil through the feed tube and process until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl and refrigerate until completely cool, about 1 hour.
To make the salads, in a large bowl, combine the greens with the endive and pistachios and toss with the vinaigrette until lightly coated. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To plate, divide the tossed greens among 4 plates and top with the goat cheese. Arrange 3 endive spears decoratively around the edges, and serve. Garnish with extra blackberries.