- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- Pinch Essence
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground mace
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 12 ounces very small shrimp, peeled, cooked, and chopped
- 8 ounces crawfish tails, cooked, peeled, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- French bread croutons, as accompaniment
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, lemon juice, cream cheese, shallots, Essence, sherry, salt, mace, cayenne, and chives and mix with a rubber spatula. Add the shrimp and crawfish and mix to combine. Fold in the chives. Transfer to a large bowl, smoothing the top with the spatula. Chill until just firm, not letting the butter get too hard, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with croutons.