- 1 pound red beets, stems and leaves removed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon pickling spice
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Fresh dill sprigs, garnish
- Sliced French bread, as an accompaniment
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Wrap the beets tightly in aluminum foil and roast until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven, uncover, and let sit until cool enough to handle. When cool, slip the skins from the beets and cut into eighths.
In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and let sit for 2 hours for the flavors to develop. Add the eggs, onions, garlic, and beets and turn to coat evenly. Cover tightly and refrigerate, turning occasionally, until the eggs are a deep pink color, at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
To serve, remove the eggs, beets, and onions from the marinade and arrange on a platter. Garnish with sprigs of dill and serve with sliced French bread.
Spinach And Endive Salad With Pickled Beets And Eggs, And Creamy Dressing
A Melange Of Roasted Root Vegetables
Roasted Beet, Fennel, Mache and Gorgonzola Salad
Celery Root Mashed Potatoes
Lemon Rosemary Pickled Green Beans
Mary Beth's Pickled Beets And Eggs
Whole Chicken with Root Vegetables
Spiced Roasted Carrot Puree
Barbecued Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Homemade Bbq Sauce, Cole Slaw And Fried Pickles