- 8 ounces French green lentils, washed and picked over
- 3 whole garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups frisee
- 3 cups arugula
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme. Cover with water by 4-inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until just tender yet still firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and discard the garlic, bay leaves, and thyme. Place the lentils in a large bowl and set aside.
In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels, leaving 3 tablespoons of fat in the pan. Add the carrots, celery, shallots and garlic, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the vegetables to the bowl with the lentils. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, and 4 teaspoons of the vinegar, tomatoes, parsley, Essence, salt and pepper, and toss to mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine the frisee, arugula and bacon. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 teaspoons of red wine vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss the dressing with the greens and divide among 4 plates. Top with the lentil salad and the goat cheese. Serve.